Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Transformer or IED?

Well, here it is 1:30 am and I am blogging. The reason I am up at this time is because our electricity went out about 9:45 pm and just now came on. I was woken by the beeping of the phone next to my head and the numerous lights that were left on that suddenly illuminated when the transformer was fixed.

JB and I were watching the documentary "Inside the Green Berets" on National Geographic when the transformer blew in our neighborhood. What was so weird about it blowing was that it blew up making the gun shot sound at the same time the Green Beret's were blowing IED's in Afganistan. The gun shot "booms" happened so simultaneously that it made me jump. I was watching this show with such intensity that for a split second, it felt like I was in Afganistan with them and the loud "boom" of the transformer only made it more real as I was watching them blow up the IED's.

I don't think these words can explain the weirdness of the incident because it's probably one of those moments "you just had to be there".

JB and I searched the house for flashlights and candles. We found both and proceeded to use them. I only had scented candles which became strong after awhile. I tried to read the local paper using these scented candles but just wasn't enough light. I don't think I could have made it with back in the day.

However, the scented candles did help with the lingering smell of burnt fried chicken. Which is a whole 'nother story.

I was craving fried chicken and tried my hand at it tonight. I have never been successful at frying chicken. The leg quarters that I had were probably too big to be frying but I did it anyway against my better judgement. And just as before, the outside burned while the inside was undercooked.

There's not a time that I have fried chicken that I hadn't thought about the movie "Chicken Run". To be honest with ya'll, I was so frustrated at the outcome of my fried chicken because it was just continuation of before attempts. Despite my hard work of trying to get supper fixed, I ended up having to throw away all 3 quarters. Now some poor ole chicken was killed for nothing. I couldn't even give it the dignity of being fried and eaten with such delicious delight. Which would have been a much better reason to die than to just be cooked and thrown away. Just a waste of the life of a chicken that could have otherwise fallen prey to a much better cause...KFC, Popeyes, BBQ, Zaxby's, and to the envy of all chickens and the relief of all cows---Chic-fil-A.

It is obviously too late to be blogging if I am rambling on about black outs and fried chicken.

Until next time, I will be saving my chicken for other causes than frying--HB

No comments: