Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Let Mamma in, Please!!!!

I walked out to check the mail, as usual, leaving 2 faces pressed up against our glass storm door watching me the whole way. Got the mail, turned around to see the 2 faces still staring at me. Got to the door only to find it LOCKED!!! I knew the boys would rebel someday, but not at 23 months and to the point of locking their mother out of the house. "Open the door for mommy, please." "Let mamma in, please." To no avail. They just stood there looking at me saying, "Mamma, Mamma, outside?"

Well, the garage door was down, so I couldn't go through it. I tried unsuccessfully to open the 2 wooden gates that went to the backyard. The doors have aged and warped from the sun and are just about near impossible to open (at least they are for me). We have 2 doors in the backyard--one opens to our bedroom and the other opens into the garage. I knew the door to our bedroom was locked but was unsure about the one to the garage. What did it matter, I couldn't get back there regardless. And I sure can't climb a 6 foot wooden privacy fence.

Fortunately, my neighbor was home. And on any other given day, she wouldn't have been. After checking on the boys and finding them still standing at the door peering out with a look like "mission accomplished", I trekked across the yard to the neighbors.

I told her my situation. To which she replied, "Honey, you need a spare key to keep outside". I simply responded, "Yes, Mam".

"May I use your phone?"

"Sure." "Come right on in.".

Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring...."Hello."

"Daddy, where are you?"

"In the middle of the reservoir fishing, whatcha need, HB?"

"The boys have locked me out of the house and I can't get back in."

"You're kidding, right?"

"No, daddy, I'm not. Wish I was, but I'm not." "Besides, I wouldn't kidd about something this embarrassing, daddy."

"I'll be right there, but it will take me at least 20 minutes to get back to my truck and then I have to load the boat...I'll be as quick as I can. Oh wait, maybe Merrill will let me take his truck. Just give me some time, I'll be there."

"Thank you, daddy."

I told my neighbor that my daddy was on his way but that it would be few minutes because he was in the middle of reservoir. "Well, why don't you call your husband, maybe he can get here quicker?"

To which I embarrassingly replied, "I don't know his work number, he just started a new job and his number is on my caller ID, so I just scroll to the number and press 'Talk'. I haven't memorized it yet."

"Well does he have a cell phone number you can call?"

Again with embarrassment, "He is at lunch right now and I don't know that number either. It's also on my Caller ID and do the same for it, just scroll to it and press 'talk'"

I told her that I was sooo embarrassed and that I was sorry to bother her, to which she replied, "Don't worry about it, my kids locked me out plenty of times." Now, I must stop here and ponder this response. As embarrassed as I was, I certainly wouldn't have admitted to being locked out "plenty of times". Also, at what number of times that you have been locked out do realize that it may be a re-occurring problem. I don't anticipate this happening again, maybe once more, but not "plenty of times." Anyway, Brian, if you are reading this, you should be ashamed.

She insisted that we try to get the gates open. And thanks to her persistence, we did...well, she did. And luckily the back door to the garage was unlocked and I was able to get into the house through the garage/kitchen door.

There the 2 schemers were, each sitting in a chair in the den. When I walked in they both got down and ran to me while holding their arms out saying..."mail, mail, mail". Nope, not "mamma, we are sorry" or "so glad to see you". They were more interested in the junk mail than the welfare of their mother.

Until next time, be sure and keep your doors unlocked (thought I would never say that one), HB

3 comments:

K Storm said...

That has happened to me with both kids. My oldest did it on purpose, the younger one was just learning and experimenting with the locks and knobs. Be careful about locking them in the car too!! That has happened before too.

awc said...

I have to admit...I laughed the whole way through reading this!! (As did DC!!) JB told you not to turn your back on them!! :)

Anonymous said...

That happened to me when Angela was less than two. She was asleep in her baby bed when I was sweeping just outside the kitchen door when I shut it to keep the dirt from flying back in the house. Oops - it was locked. All my neighbors were at work so I went around the house checking windows. Her window was unlocked. There she was in her bed watching me climb in her window! What our kids must think at times as they watch their parents! I guess it never stops - that is - what they think as they watch their parents - Ha-Ha! Just wait until your boys are teenagers! Everything you do will seem odd!