Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Bug Free but not Allergy Free

Yesterday was vomit and diarrhea free. However, BB broke out into his urticaria again. This time it was around 1:30. After his prescribed dose of Benadryl, it didn't improve and continued to spread. I called his pediatrician, in which I got a much better reception and they immediately worked me in.

His doctor believes that he is having an allergic reaction to something that he is eating or some kind of preservative in foods. However, it has been known to happen when exposed to certain viruses and bacteria. When I told him that we have had the "stomach bug" all week, he did seem to think that this could have possibly caused the sudden onset. According to the doctor and what I have read about it, the causes of urticaria are hard to pinpoint and sometimes go unknown. It can disappear as fast as it appeared and flare-up several times a day while dormant on others.

With all that being said, he prescribed some oral steroids along with an epi-pen just in case his allergies become more severe. He also advised taking children's Claritan everyday and we can use Benadryl as needed for sudden flare-ups.

Today was vomit and diarrhea free, also. And I thought was gonna be urticaria free. However, about 5:30, BB had another flare-up. Only this time it didn't spread as fast. I held off the Benadryl to see how fast and how bad it would get. It did spread and I eventually had to give Benadryl. At least this time, the Benadryl did help.

I plan to send the boys to school tomorrow. Hopefully, any "mean bugs" will remain at school and leave us alone.

Until next time, HB

2 comments:

K Storm said...

I sure hope today goes well.

Jeremy and Christy said...

Rileigh sure was glad to see BOTH of them today!!