Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Monday, September 22, 2008

From Mean Bug to Mean Allergy

Well, the rest of the day hasn't fared well. I got the bright idea I just had to steam clean my carpet since it had vomit and other body fluids from sick children. It was my last resort at trying to sanitize this place.

My dear dad picked up my sister's carpet cleaner and brought it over to my house. He helped me clean the carpet in the den and keep crowd control amongst the boys and Gizmo.

After a hard morning of more sanitizing, the boys went down for a nap and my dad went home to rest, also. He's still a little drained from his sickness on Saturday. JB remained in the bed for most of the day.

About 4:00 PM, BB woke up from his nap but came to me complaining of his leg itching and hurting. To say I was shocked at what I saw is an understatement. He had numerous of welts forming on his leg that started at his ankles and ran to his knee. I immediately called my dad to come back over and help me take him to the doctor. At the time, I thought I would need to take both as JB was still dead to the world from the Phenergan.

I woke JB up to let him know what was happening. While, he's getting BB changed to cleaner clothes and I'm trying to contact our pediatrician. I won't go into the frustration I experienced with the doctor's office. Needless to say, I took BB to my mom's office to see our family physician b/c I wasn't gonna wait around for a nurse to call me back with what after-hour appointments they still had left. Although, this situation wasn't an ER emergency, I certainly didn't have time for a call back with an appointment that might have been 1 hour later. By this time all the welts, had meshed together and were now to his thigh, like one big swollen leg and they were now on both legs.

JB said he felt well enough to keep CB while my dad and I took BB to the doctor. The diagnosis was obviously an allergic reaction to something. The only thing we can think of is the cleaner for the carpet (that I just had to clean), although, it took several hours to manifest. I looked in his bed for any bugs but found nothing.
By the time we arrived at the doctor, the welts had grown to his buttocks and were really red and hot to the touch.

Luckily, all that was needed was some Benadryl, which I happened to put in my purse on the way out the door "just in case". I would have already given him some, but didn't know how much to give for such a situation.

From there we went back to my parents so not to get BB back on our carpets. My dear dad, again, went back to my house to try and rinse the carpet of any leftover cleaner, if that's actually what triggered BB's reaction, only time will tell if the rinse worked. If it's not the cleaner, then I'll be trying to figure out what it is. Hopefully, there won't be another reaction. We'll see.
You will see in the pics below just a bit of what was on both legs. The pic is actually after Benadryl when the welts were beginning to look better. BB went to bed with red splotches but no welts and more Benadryl.





Until next time, HB

4 comments:

Leslie and Mark said...

Bless your heart!...and BBs too!! I hope everyone starts to feel better soon!

K Storm said...

It is so scary when they react suddenly like that.

Oh, I pray that you will all feel better soon.

Carrie said...

I helped your husband today when he came in to the pharmacy. I don't think he realized who I was. If you have any questions you can call me (or if you need to know how to use the prescription!). So sorry they aren't feeling well..."this too shall pass." :)

Michelle McArdle said...

When it rains, it pours!! Hope you all feel better soon.