Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Friday, June 3, 2016

Bondage to Holiday Gift Giving

With our boys' birthday approaching in the next couple of months, gifts used to be such a stressor for most of our celebratory holidays, including their birthday.  But ever since we told them the truth about Santa, the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy, these gift giving holidays have become so much more meaningful. 

It truly hurts my heart when I see Easter and Christmas celebrated by trying to give our children the perfect gifts. I used to be one of those mommas who worried with finding just right thing that would make my children happy on these mornings. I also worried about having just the right outfits for our Sunday church attendance. You know, it was just thing to do. It's what is expected, right?

That perfection I was seeking drained all the joy and reason to celebrate. I was too consumed with having just the right gifts that I failed to recognize that the perfect gift had already been given...the birth of Christ, and the salvation from eternal damnation through his death and resurrection. seriously y'all, I worried that the baskets didn't have enough to impress or satisfy my children's wants. I worried that Christmas morning would be an epic fail if I didn't have the right gifts or enough gifts. I worried that we wouldn't look the part unless we all had new "Easter" clothes. My worry to have it just right prevented me from the freedom of worship and celebration. And isn't celebration the reason we worship, the reason we acknowledge Christmas and Easter? If we are truly the Christ followers we say we are, then striving for a perfection that is measured only by worldly standards to fulfill worldly expectations isn't freedom nor is it God's will. Those expectations are distractions from Satan and when we've heeded them, he's won.

Up until a few years ago, I let Satan win. I chose bondage every time I strived for worldly perfection. But, y'all, there's a sweet freedom when you finally break free from it and begin to celebrate the real meaning of Christ's birth and the real meaning of Resurrection Day.

I no longer worry about the perfect gifts or the perfect clothes. Instead, I try to teach my children and let Christ teach me that it's not about perfection or wrapped gifts or baskets. It's about us being imperfect but saved by the only perfect gift that has ever been and will ever be given. A gift so perfect that nothing on this earth will never match it.

No comments: