Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Friday, June 24, 2016

Recent Reads


There are elements in this book I really enjoyed. Some of events were written to be humorous while I think some were written as a joke to make fun of The South and its traditions.

The sex and heavily used vulgar language wasn't necessary to make the story line better. The story, itself, was enjoyable and needn't the added sex and vulgarity.

There were twists in the plot that made this book a page turner but not enough for me to give more than 3 stars.
                  

This book is about a boy coming from Indiana coming of age in Mississippi during the 70s.


Romance isn't a genre I typically choose to read. I had one of my boys choose a book for me, and he chose this one because he thought I would like the cover. So, to keep my promise, I read it.

I didn't care for the romance aspect, though it was sweet, it's just not my interest for reading. I enjoy love stories but not romance.

However, this book did have minor suspense elements that made it more enjoyable than I anticipated.

I would normally rate historical romance as a 1 or 2 star but given it was better than I anticipated I give it 3. It was well written with a ease of reading.
 

(Christian, Historical Fiction)



5 stars.  This book challenges to do be and do more for Christ than just sitting on the sidelines. 

Though I was born and reared in Mississippi and now rearing my own family in Mississippi, I am not from the Delta. However, the Delta isn't too unfamiliar to me as I lived in Greenville for 2 years and my father is from the Delta.

Richard depicts most accurately the race relations in the Delta, though, it can ring true for most of Mississippi. His conclusion...it's complicated. If black/white relations had to be described as you would describe a relationship on social media, "it's complicated" would be the answer. I think only those from Mississippi can actually understand it. Outsiders just can't begin to understand and certainly not from a perspective of only one year of living here.

I would like to say that his depiction of life in the Mississippi Delta, though very much riddled with drugs and alcohol, is not indicative of all Deltans. There are many who can enjoy life without having to include large amounts of alcohol if any at all.

Mississippi certainly has a past that isn't all glorious but Mississippi is certainly a place I love to call home.


Longest.Book.Ever. 776 pages.

I was disappointed in the ending. I guess if you like and can understand deep philosophy, you might would like it. I thought it left the reader hanging for more about the characters' future. Or maybe I was just disappointed bc the ideas I had for them didn't happen as I expected or hoped.

I give it 3 stars * * *








No comments: