Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Rich vs Wealthy

I recently had someone ask me where I live.  When I told her what neighborhood, she replied, "Oh, you rich, huh.  You live in that 'richy-rich' neighborhood."

I think she was more caught off guard to my response than I was to hers.

"Yes, I'm rich.  But don't be misunderstood as to why.  I am rich...not because of the house I live in, the cars I drive, the clothes I wear, or the neighborhood I live in.  Not because of any success my husband and I may have had financially or in any career.  Oh, yes, mam, I am very rich.  I am rich from the love my children give me everyday.  I am rich from the love my husband has for me, our children and Christ.  I am rich from the love I grew up in that was given and still given by my parents, my sister and my extended family.  I am rich with friends who love and accept me regardless of my 'wealth' or lack thereof. But what makes me the 'most rich'...it's the grace and mercy Christ gives me everyday...the gift of salvation he gave when nailed to the cross. Yes, I am rich."

As for wealth, I'm 'poor' when compared to some and I'm wealthy when compared to others.  But I am not so poor that I can't use what he has given me, even now, for His Glory.  And if I ever get to a status in life that I become selfishly wealthy, Father God, please take it away from me.  Because it's at that point I no longer recognize what He has allowed me to have.  I no longer recognize the financial success as His blessings.  But, God, if at some point in life you allow me to be 'wealthy' by our cultural measure, please remind me in that wealth it's not to be used for selfish or material gain but instead to be used for Your Glory.  It's a blessing that you have entrusted to me to be used for your Glory and not mine.  Remind me that it's not because of anything I've done on my own but because of what you equipped me to do and in so doing, you blessed me. 

Even now, I should glorify Him with what he has given me and not wait on the 'wealth' to come.  

Yes, I am rich.  I am rich indeed.

No comments: