Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Monday, October 27, 2008

From Mom to Referee

I think my boys are training for the WWF these days. If so, I'll be the most experienced referee for the business. These days I feel more like a referee than a mom.



I had the intentions of cleaning my house this morning as it has gone to a pig sty since I was sick last week. However, the boys had other plans like hitting, pushing, kicking, yelling and driving me into a state of my own need to be refereed.




This morning I woke up to CB crying because BB hit him when he tried to turn the light on. Apparently BB didn't want to wake up and turning the light on just wasn't an option. After dealing with that, we 3 meandered into the den and kitchen for the routine strawberry milk.




After many attempts to sweep and mop my kitchen, I finally gave up due to spending most of my time in the den in the middle of live wrestling matches. They fought over trucks, bulldozers, tv shows, who sits in what chair, and anything else they could claim to be their own.




You see, I can't send them to their room because they share a room. If you recall, there had already been a smack down earlier in the morning. I tried to send one to my room and one to their room. That became a battle as each wanted to go to my room. They each ended up in a chair in the den. I dared them to get out of the chair. After about 45 minutes, I finally got my kitchen cleaned with no interruptions while they sat in the chairs.




We later went to Wal-Mart where the wrestling continued in the buggy. As I was sternly and firmly telling them not look at each other, not to touch each other, not to talk to each other...my mother's prim and proper cousin walks by only to immediately turn around and in her true southernbelle accent and mannerisms "Holly is that you? I haven't seen you in so long and the last time I saw the boys they were in car seats." "How's your mamma and them?" "This one looks just like Uncle Bonnie (referring to CB who looks like my grandfather, my mom's father) "Y'all have got a wedding coming up don't ya'?" "I wish I could go but it's just so far but I just love weddings especially when I get to visit with the whole family. You know, I just love visiting with family".



You have to understand my mom's cousin to appreciate how untimely this was. She is from the Old South where you dress up even to go to the grocery store down the road...her family owns cotton farms in the delta. And here I was in a t-shirt, blue jeans, flip flops, no make-up, hair in a pony-tail...trying to keep my temper in check in the middle of Wal-Mart. (Aunt Myra and Daddy, you know who I am talking about and you can appreciate this moment..MLN).




My saving grace yet another gasping moment for my southernbelle cousin was when CB announced that he had to doo-dooed. We were able to get away and off the bathroom we went.




As I was trying to get the boys out of Wal-Mart and they both determined to get on some ride, get some cheap thrill from a vending machine we run into that cousin again. Only this time I was firmly reiterating to CB that we were not getting a tatoon (his word for tatoo).


She gracefully walks over and says..."I know bringing twins to Wal-Mart has got to be hard". "You know were like triplets"


"Yes, mam, it is, give every one a hug for me".


By the time we got home, it was time for lunch and then a well needed nap. The wrestling matches weren't as often this afternoon.



Until next time, HB

1 comment:

K Storm said...

Some days I feel like I should be wearing a black/white uniform and waving flags too. I've been trying to use some of the techniques that were in that Creative Correction book, trying to figure out what works with my kids.