Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Monday, March 31, 2008

Starve or Go Broke?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the price of groceries have gone up. I did our bi-weekly grocery shopping tonight at Wal-Mart and it amazes me that the prices continue to increase even from last month. It would better benefit us to either buy a cow or milk truck than to continue to pay what it cost for a gallon of milk, seeing that we can go through 2 gallons a week. Not to mention own a few chickens for the price of eggs.

Being a SAHM means that we live off 1 income. While my monogramming business brings a little extra, it doesn't make up for the increasing prices of gas and groceries.

With the price of groceries increasing, I find myself struggling with a particular issue. Because I stay home with my boys, I have to feed them breakfast, lunch and snacks, while children who attend school or daycare are fed through their organization. (Which of course is included in the cost of care).

I find myself struggling with choosing to eat healthy foods which cost more or make my money go further by buying the regular, sometimes less healthy foods.
I can buy large bags of chicken nuggets, little pizzas, corn dogs, etc. These items, though, pricey are less expensive and go further than lean lunch meats, fresh fruits and vegetables. Fat free, low fat, lean, fresh and organic foods are so much more expensive and stretch my grocery budget while less healthy foods fit my budget better.

I don't know all the ends and outs of the no grocery tax, but just the sound of it is appealing. I know that it has been debated in our State government several times but never passed. It times like now it should would help to keep in my pocket as much as possible even taxes. (By the way, there are some states that have temporary eliminated the state tax on gas to help ease the burden).

I would love to hear how any of y'all balance these issues, that is, if you struggle with the same.

Until next time, HB

1 comment:

K Storm said...

Costs are added to everything. I wouldn't be surprised if school lunches go up and of course day care goes up all the time. I looked forward to letting go of the expense of diapers, but with the increase in appetite of my growing boy there is no decrease to the grocery bill. Guess we will have to find a green thumb and grow veggies or something.
The only thing about taking out sales taxes is the money will need to be found somewhere or lose the things they fund in our community which may result in lost jobs for people. It is hard to find that balance.