Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Thursday, March 20, 2008

From Possessed to Obsessed

For the past few months, we have been "mildly" potty training. The boys are 2 1/2 years old...old enough to know what to do on the potty, but still a little young to know when to tell me.

When we first started putting them on the potty, CB caught on quickly. He immediately got the hang of it and now goes without any hesitation when you set him on it. However, BB was not as easy. The first attempt was terrible. He hollered, kicked, screamed and cried wanting nothing to do with it. This same behavior continued with each try. I don't know if was scared or just not interested. After the first few tries, I decided I wasn't gonna fight that reaction every time I tried to get him to tee-tee in the potty. So for awhile, CB has gone when I say, "let's go tee-tee in the potty". BB would just shake his head and reply, "Don't want it, thank you though".

The past 2 weeks BB has gone from possessed when on the potty to obsessed with the potty. He asks to go quite often and not wanting to discourage his excitement back into possessed, I take him. And he usually shows results if not but a trickle. He seems to be enjoying the rewards of the behavior...football candy, washing hands, and flushing.

JB and I aren't stressing about it, but I have let them run around without a diaper. When they are diaperless, they tell me when they need to go and even sometimes they go by themselves. However, with the diaper on, they still feel free to refrain from the bathroom and use their diaper as the toilet.

I am sure as time continues, they both will eventually be potty trained.

Until next time, HB

No comments: