Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Friday, January 25, 2008

I'm going Bare...

And I'm wearing nothing but the Escentuals!

I have never really liked makeup. And I absolutely hate wearing lipstick. However, my favorite makeup of the past has been Prescriptives because they would custom mix a foundation and powder to match my skin tones. When I began wearing makeup, I started with Clinique because my mom swears by it. However, I was never fully satisfied with the foundation colors Clinique had to offer. Their makeup tends to be too pink. And only when I put my Clinique foundation next the Prescriptives did I really notice just how pink Clinique's foundation was.

Part of staying home has required that I sacrifice a few things. Expensive makeup was one of them and the time it takes to go out trying new makeup and re-supplying my stock is another. I started picking some out from the local drug store or Wal-Mart, trying different brands and colors with every re-supply. Nevertheless, I have never been satisfied with the less expensive brands of makeup. They, too, tend to have pink tones when I need yellow to offset my pink toned skin. There are some you, my friends, that can use those brands and it looks great. I've even asked friends,"what makeup do you use?" And then find myself trying the same brand only to find, again, dissatisfaction.

Well, last weekend I spent with my best friend and college roommate, Rebecca. While in college, she only used Clinique and like my mom, swore by it. I learned while visiting her that she had left the Clinique "clique" and started wearing Bare Escentuals. I have actually been wanting to try this brand for sometime but hesitated because I didn't know anyone that used it. She took me to the local seller and had a "make over" using the Bare Escentual makeup.

I must say that I was very pleased. It's true what they advertise, it is very light feeling and less is more when applying. I am still getting used to it as it doesn't feel like I have makeup, nor does it cover as heavy.

I bought the starter kit and will use it til it's gone. I threw out my current makeup that was supposed to be so smart that it could "read my skin tone and automatically change it's color to match" as if it were some type of camellion lizard. I hated that makeup but used it anyway in order not to waste my money. Apparently my bottle was illiterate, because it couldn't "read" my skin tone correctly leaving the dreaded, horrific orange makeup lines.

Hopefully I will like Bare Escentuals. I'll keep you posted as I continue to wear it and let you know the long-term prognosis.

Until next time, HB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

now we have 8 things about you...

Anonymous said...

I'm just a blog stalker, but when it comes to makeup I have to comment. I too wore clinique, perscriptives, and bare escentuals. I loved it! I did find that I ran out quickly and decided to try Merle Normans mineral makeup and like it equally. It comes in 1 shade instead of 2 and is a larger container for $26. Just some suggestions if that doesn't work.