Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Little Did I Know...

that I was ordering food from the Britney Spears' "favorite hometown place to eat when she comes home"--as Nyla's Burger Basket's menu proudly proclaims.

Last Wednesday, I traveled to south MS for a cousin's wedding. As I neared exit #1 to my destination, my sister called and asked if I would stop somewhere and pick up a burger or something of the sorts for the "little ones". For those who have never traveled those parts, you can't just stop at the next exit for fast food...there aren't any (exits nor fast food).

As I got off "exit #1", I turned left instead of right to find a place to pick up a few burgers. This direction took my to the little town of Osyka. As I approached the downtown, such as it is, I came up on Nyla's Burger Basket. My dad was with me and stayed in the car with the boys while I went in for what I thought would be a quick order of burgers and fries.

I walked up to the counter not knowing the place nor the menu. I explained to the lady..."I'm not from here and so I'm not familiar with the your menu, is there one I can look at?"

With a leery look, she replied..,"Honey, there's one on the table, take your time."

As I reviewed the menu, I didn't really notice anything special but your regular "hometown menu". So I proceeded to order 2 hamburgers and 2 grilled cheeses for the "little ones".

As I waited for my order, I looked around the little trailer restaurant and noticed all the signed pictures of Britney Spears. I also noticed all the framed reviews from Southern Living and newspapers of both local and national. Looking back at the menu again...in the upper left-hand corner was proudly displayed, "Britney Spears' favorite hometown place to eat when she comes home". And then it hit me---I am at the "NYLA'S".

I am not a fan of Britney but have seen a few interviews of her. However, I became interested in a few of the interviews as she mentioned a "Nyla's" in Osyka. My interest was only because I have family in that area.

As I continued to wait for my order, the locals came and went. I realized while waiting, that I was definitely in a small town. The children that came in talked about swimming in Mr. So-in-so's pond and eating watermelon. Which is a far different conversation than what I hear where I am from. The kids here talk about what country club or neighborhood pool they swim in. The people coming and going all new each other. There was even one teenage girl who came in and asked Ms Nyla if she needed help that night. To which Ms Nyla replied, "Not tonight, Honey, but come back tomorrow and Friday night. I will definitely need it then". I guess they don't display "help wanted" or "now hiring" signs. Why should they when the locals stop by on a daily basis willing to help. Maybe the possibility of Britney stopping in is a good enough incentive to work...especially if you are a teenager.

I would like to return and actually sit down and eat at the Nyla's Burger Basket. Who knows, even I might get to eat and converse with Britney. Now that would be blog worth writing and reading.

Until next time, "oops, I did it again"...another blog, HB


No comments: