Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Everyday is a New Challenge

As moms of toddlers know, everyday can bring on new challenges. Some are easily defeated and you find victory in them and then there are those that seem to keep defeating you and your efforts.

The boys have recently learned the "Art of Aggravation". No matter how much BB doesn't want to be tackled by his brother with pillows, CB continues do it as a form of entertainment for himself. And as loud as BB may protest, CB finds no reprieve in his activity. Then mamma has to step in because now it has turned into a war. Although, it can be quite entertaining to myself as I watch how they handle each other.

CB now likes to show what authority he thinks he has by telling BB "no-no", "what did mamma just say", "time-out BB". To which I reply, "CB, mamma can handle it" knowing all along I might be at a loss on how he should be disciplined. In a way, CB reminds me of myself trying to take care of my sister when we were younger.

BB has learned that when he takes something away from CB, he gets a reaction. And usually no amount of hollering and screaming CB does, BB thinks it's a form of entertainment for himself.

They both think that the best way to stay cool during these oppressing days of heat is to stand in front of the fridge with the door wide open. As they stand there absorbing all the cool air as if it were life saving oxygen...I find myself quoting my mother when we would do the same-- "I can't cool this whole house with the fridge, now, shut the door."

In spite of the everyday challenges, I am so blessed to be the one facing them...I am the one who is disciplining, I am the one teaching them right from wrong and I am the one instilling in them the values I believe they should be learning during the day. I know I am not a perfect parent and never will be nor are my children perfect and they never will be. But blessed am I to be able to stay home and do what JB and I think is best for our children.

I have friends who so desperately want to stay home with their children. Some are even doing what it takes to financially get to that point....and to them I say, keep trying...it is so worth it.

“I looked on child rearing not only as a work of love and duty but as a profession that was fully as interesting and challenging as any honorable profession in the world and one that demanded the best that I could bring to it.” ~Rose F. Kennedy

Until next time, HB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

is someone in your room?? or is the light on for nothing......