Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Monday, July 9, 2007

To Pass or Not to Pass?..That shouldn't be a Question

This blog expresses my (HB) veiws and opinions only. It in no way is meant to expresses the views of JB or any other particular member of our church.

For those who are not members of my church, this is another post that may not interest you nor will you fully understand the situation. However, I encourage you to read regardless. To bring you up to date, July 1st, our church voted on the proposals presented by the "Vision Team". To recall the proposals, you may read My Conflicts, Concerns, and Comments blog archived in June. So to update you as to where we are, the results of the votes were revealed this past Sunday. And in order for a proposal to be implemented or passed, 75% of the members who voted had to vote "YES".

For those who are members, you should be well aware of the situation that our church is currently experiencing. And I am sure you are now aware of the outcome of the vote. However, I will post them for those who do not know.

*Requirements for Membership (12 week class)---45.1% (for) 54.9% (against)----overwhelmingly NO

*Children's Program/Small Groups (Sunday Schools would be moved to Sunday and Wednesday nights with a dramatic change to the Children's Ministry)----70.5% (for)
29.5% (against)----close but NO

*Community Impact Team----81.9% (for) 18.1% (against)---overwhelmingly YES

*New Welcome Center Area----72.8% (for) 27.2% (against)----close but NO

As you can see 2 of the proposals were a close "race". And because they were so close to the 75% requirement, the Vision Team approached our pastor asking him to consider "pushing it through" (for the lack of better words). After much prayer and consideration, our pastor deferred the decision to the deacons.

Let me 1st say, that I respect our pastor for not making the decision himself. I do not believe that a pastor should have that much authority in a church, hence, the reason for deacons and other leaders.

However, I will state that I do not believe this issue should even have to go before our deacons. In our church's By Laws it is stated that a proposal needs 51% of a "yes" vote to pass. However, our pastor made the decision early-on to forgo the 51% requirement and setting 75% as the needed requirement. The members of the church voted with the impression and understanding that 75% was needed in order for the proposal to pass. And to "change the rules in the middle of the game" is just wrong, regardless of how close. The Vision Team and our church staff had enough confidence in the members of the church to allow them to vote what they felt was God's will. And to now consider passing the proposal without the 75% requirement, is undermining their ability to represent themselves for God's will. I believe that that this sends the message that your vote doesn't count and we are not confident in what the church as a whole voted. The members are now being encouraged to call the deacons and voice their opinion as to rather the proposals should be passed or should remain. As one member told me, he shouldn't have to call the deacons to represent him; he represented himself with his vote as he was originally asked to do. The person now feels that his vote and belief of what he thought to be God's will is not good enough and is inadequate. I can honestly understand his view; although I do not feel the same.

It burdens me to tears that there is even consideration to override the majority of the vote. I believe that if the proposals are passed regardless of the majority vote, the members were lied to, mislead, and deceived; thus, undermining their ability to vote as a church member what they feel is God's will. I know those are harsh words but the church has "spoken", regardless if you or I disagree or agree with the outcome. I am bothered that there are members who want to use the 51% By Law requirement as a reason to pass the proposals. If this were the case, then all but the Membership proposal would pass regardless of the 75% requirement that was originally presented to the church members. And even then, the Membership Requirement should go ahead and be passed because with 45.1% of "yes" votes, it's close enough to the 51% that would be needed to pass. The 51% By Law is not an issue nor should it be a factor in this case as it was forgone and presented to the deacons before the proposals were even presented. As I wrote earlier, members were told what the requirements were before voting and to change that after the fact is deceiving.

At this point, I do not mind telling you what I voted. I voted "yes" to all but the Membership Requirements. And I must admit that I was disappointed with the outcome; however, not to the point that I believe the votes should be overridden. And after processing this tonight through prayer, writing, and talking with JB, I believe that God can use what did pass, the Community Impact Team, to change our church and this community like no other church has. Does that mean that I believe that there is no need for change nor should there be change within our church, absolutely NOT! I am merely saying that with 81.9% of the church members believing that we can impact our community for Christ....let's do it. Let's put our vote into action---another blog coming soon concerning this proposal.

On another note, I have heard that some have given the "Vision Team" the nickname of the "Division Team". And if that be you, you should be ashamed. And such thoughts toward any member of the team is totally unChristlike. I don't know any person on the team in a personal manner, but I do know that neither their goal nor their heart was to cause a "division". And the division that has occurred, is because of a "heart matter" not the persons or the team itself.

I will end this blog asking that you pray for our deacons, staff and members of my church. And if you are reading this because you know me personally and do not go to my church, I ask that you pray for JB. He is a deacon in our church and has a burden to do the right thing. He has his convictions but has asked that I not share them at this time which I respect and honor his request. However, I have asked JB that at some point to share with you his thoughts about this. He said that he would consider after all is done but not before the Deacon's meeting. I hope he will share with you, because like me, I think you will find them to be honoring and humble before God.

Until next time, HB

No comments: