Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Interception!

This past Sunday during church, JB and I sat in the balcony with my parents. As typical Baptist, my parents have their marked pew. JB and I don't really have a marked pew instead we are sorta like nomads or gypsies, just end up wherever. I don't know that we have actually sat in the same spot for any length of time.

However, we did end up in the balcony this past Sunday. And where my parents sit is behind the "sound booth". Every time I sit up there, I am reminded why it's not my preferred spot. It's just about too distracting for me with the sound people doing there job which requires alot of movement and sometimes having to communicate amongst themselves.

Well, this past Sunday there was added distraction with 2 teenage girls and the teenage boy who operates the lighting system in the booth. To help you understand the layout, the girls were sitting in a pew horizontal from the boy in the "sound booth". There were steps between them, thus creating a great deal of space.

It all started at the beginning of the service. I saw something tossed from the "lighting boy" (for the lack of a better description) to the girls sitting in the pew across from him. I immediately saw that it was note as one of the girls opened to read it and proceeded to write a response and toss the note back. Now, it didn't bother too much at this point because I was a teenager once and remember "talking" in church and I was willing to excuse one time. However, when it continued through the 1st 30 minutes of the service along with laughter, I became very frustrated and distracted.

In one of his attempts to toss the note back to the 2 girls, the note landed halfway between the pews. Neither of them got up to retrieve the note, instead, laughed at the situation and furthered their conversation by "mouthing their words". It was at this time, I got up, walked down 2 steps and intercepted the note. As I walked back to my seat, a man sitting next to us said, "Thank You". I sat back down and attempted to focus on the rest of the sermon.

At this point in the worship service, I was so distracted and frustrated I found it hard to pay attention. Thoughts of how to handle this situation after the service was over were running through my mind. Should I read the note? Should I give it to the youth director? Or should I give it to the person over the "sound and light production"? Let me inform those who do not know---the youth are not supposed to be in worship at this hour, so I don't know why these 2 girls were. Maybe they are not members and they only come to flirt with this boy, I don't know. But for whatever reason, they were very distracting to the congregation around them.

Needless to say, they did not toss anymore notes nor did they converse with each other to the extent of before my interception. I approached the girls after the service and gave back their note. I did not read the note but simply told them..."I didn't read your note and don't care to. I hope what is written is not dishonoring to God especially in His house. But I will say, girls, that your actions have been most distracting and furthermore, dishonoring to Him during this time of worship. And I ask that any conversation to this extent be taken care of before or after the worship service." To which they replied, "Yes, Mam". (boy, did that make me feel old, with the 'mam'). I didn't see myself being that much older than they. I then approached the "lighting boy" and told him the same. To which he replied, "Yeah, ok". I don't think he was as sorry as the girls appeared to be.

I think I may need to sit in the first couple of pews on the floor. They are usually empty and will be less distracting. However, that may be too close for comfort...maybe less distracting but more convicting.

Until next time, HB

No comments: