Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Sunday, April 29, 2007

It was NOT my cell phone!

It was Sunday morning worship as usual. The congregation had just gotten through singing a hymn. Our music minister felt the need to have a "moment of silence" in order for us as individuals to pray to God.

I had been having problems with my asthma that morning, typical coughing and such. And it was during this "moment of silence" that it decided to act up again. So I quietly left the pew, all the while trying not go into a coughing fit that sounded as though I was hacking up a lung.

Just before standing to leave the pew, somebody's cell phone went off. I didn't realize how it looked with me leaving the sanctuary as this person's cell phone rung during our "moment of silence". When I walked out of the sanctuary doors gasping for air, several of the ushers asked, "was that your cell phone?". Without hesitation, I answered, "most certainly not." "I may have an asthma attack during church, but I will not have a 'cell phone' attack."

Meanwhile, while it took a few minutes for me to get myself together and get over my coughing fit, the choir departed from the sanctuary as they normally do. Again, as they came around the corner several asked me if that was my cell phone. I repeated, "no, I was the one hacking up the lung, cell phone not mine."
After all was calm with my coughing, I proceeded back into church and enjoyed our sermon. When I sat down, Jeremy leaned over and said that it appeared as if it was my cell phone due to the timing of me leaving and the phone ringing. And sure enough, after the service as we departed to Sunday School, I had several people stop me and ask, "was that your cell phone."

I mean really, nobody seemed concerned that I was hacking up a lung and gasping for air. As one of the ushers left to go into the santuary, he looked at me and said, "you on your own". But oh my gosh, they sure wanted to know if it was my cell phone.

So to set the record straight, it was NOT my cell phone and I am doing much better with my breathing, but thanks for asking anyway.

Until next time, HB :)

2 comments:

awc said...

I hate that we missed that!! It would have been a sight. But I am glad you aer not longer hacking up a lung!! :)

T!ff@ny said...

OH NO...how embarrassing but even worse how horrible that no one noticed you GASPING FOR AIR! I don't have asthma but I do tend to begin with coughing attacks at the most akward times...