Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Friday, September 23, 2016

Navy Week

Ever since Brother B could express what he wants to be when he grows up, he has always chosen a career that protects people.  For a while it was a policeman, but for the past 2 years it's been to join the armed forces, specifically the Navy.  He loves to watch documentaries about the Navy and their battleships.  He enjoys reading fiction books involving the Navy and their experiences. 

I try to encourage his interests whether it be his current career choice or current hobby.  Last Friday, we traveled to Natchez for him to experience their Navy week exhibits.  He was thrilled to meet Navy men, mostly SeaBees.  I enjoyed learning more about what the Navy does.  I learned of many duties the Navy holds that I was not aware of.  Most of the men we talked to had never been on a ship.  In my ignorance, I assumed all Navy men would at least spend some time on a ship.  Nope, that's not true.

Speaking to those who serve gives creates a better respect for them.  All we talked to had done tours of duty to the Middle East.  I was grateful to them for encouraging Brother B to do well in school.  They informed him that a good education is important even in the armed forces. 



No comments: