Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Friday, March 6, 2015

Annual Honeymoon

For the past few years, hubby and I have taken an annual mini honeymoon.  We've been going to Orange Beach for a few nights.  We tend to be among the youngest down there amongst the snowbirds.

This past week, we incorporated 2 nights in New Orleans.  Hubby won a 2 nights stay a hotel of choice in NO as the leader of the winning group from work. 

We are stayed in this fancy place called the Roosevelt. It's so fancy I soaked my pajamas while still wearing them when trying to figure out the shower before getting in. We were also greeted with valet parking.  As nice as valet parking is and it is employment for people, I would much rather serve than be served. 

We walked to the WW II museum. I moaned and whined the whole way there about my feet and legs hurting from the walk. Then we watched the WW II documentary Beyond our Boundaries and I shut up with the complaining.

We ate at a fancy restaurant called Antoine's. Our bill was $200 (on the company). I couldn't help but think of families in other countries who just want bread and water. In my whole life, we've never paid that much for a meal.

I don't like Bourbon Street. It makes me both uncomfortable and concerned at the same time. A girl on the corner trying to sell me her ecstasy, just isn't my kind of fun. Give me a cabin in the woods or a condo on the beach during off season, I like serenity and non populous. Don't get me wrong, hubby earned this trip and we enjoyed our time in NO but I'm not fancy and I'm not a partier. I appreciate my modest house, Honda cars, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, fried okra, homegrown tomatoes, cathead biscuits and sweet tea. I am ever so grateful for the life I have with my husband, my boys and homeschooling. Nothing fancy or "Bourbon Streetish" can ever take the place of the life I have now.

Oh, I did manage to damage the toilet lid while raising it. Now, that's more like home.

After our 2 nights in NO, we drove the coast line to Orange Beach. Ah, serenity and few people.  I don't have to be entertained 24/7 while at the beach.  Sitting on the balcony or by the sea is my idea of relaxing and enjoyment. 

We are now back home to our daily routines.  We love our life but enjoy our time together to relax from all the distractions and schedules.

No comments: