Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Perspective trumps Patience

Last night at a church fellowship, another mother asked, "How do you have the patience to homeschool? I lose it just over nightly homework."

"My patience or the lack thereof hasn't changed...it can still be a struggle on some days. My children are like all others, they try me and some days, fewer than most, it gets the best of me. But what changed was my perspective as a mother and what it truly means to educate my children. When you fully grasp what homeschooling is about and the innocence of our children, patience is no longer the intimidating issue we make it out to be."


I have been asked this question so many times.  I find myself laying awake at night wishing I had a better response when people engage in a conversation about my choice to homeschool. And one night when thinking about this question, I kept asking myself, besides prayer, "how has my patience changed...how has my patience changed".

And in praying for that answer, I felt God telling me...your patience hasn't changed, you still struggle with that. (one of those thorns in my side) But, instead, your perspective changed. When I started praying about homeschooling our children, God changed my perspective.  I no longer focused on patience, or the lack thereof but instead I started focusing on perspective.

We aren't Job, and if we think we have to have the patience of Job, we set ourselves up to fail.  So, if you are considering to homeschool your children, focus on your perspective.

You will see that Perspective trumps Patience.

No comments: