Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Retail vs Thanksgiving

"Why are retailers ruining Thanksgiving? Commentary: Customers want Black Friday to start on Thursday"


The above is the title of a news article obviously regarding corporate retail stores being open Thanksgiving Day.  Am I the only one who reads the contradiction in the title? 

I've seen all this outrage on FB and the media about corporate retail being open on Thanksgiving Day.  Umm, HELLOOO!  We the consumers control these circumstances.  If there wasn't a demand for it, than it wouldn't happen.  Corporate retail is not who makes us shop on Thanksgiving...priorities are what either keeps us home with our families or makes retail employees cater to our need for material bargaining.  I know I sound biased on this circumstance.  But as I see it, there is absolutely NOTHING that I need that would cause others to have to forgo their time away from their family. 

As for the article I mentioned above...it is indicative of what America has become...we want to blame others for our selfishness.  Retail does NOT make one shop.  I know my opinions are not shared by many, but lack of priorities is what makes us shop on Thanksgiving Day.  Yes, retail can keep their doors closed but we all know retail is out for number 1 and shopping on Thanksgiving Day only supports that. 

On a similar note, this year I am more inclined to either shop via the web or local/home based businesses.  I'd rather give my money to a local business than retail.  I obviously will not be able to solely shop local but I'll do what I can.

No comments: