Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Update

We did get to see our pediatrician Monday afternoon. And I'm sure most mothers can relate to this...you just feel better after talking to your doctor. It was easier talking to him than an ER physician that you know you aren't going to have a lengthy, family relationship with.

Our dr. seemed to think that it was a severe croup attack that brought on an asthma attack. He said that typically croup alone doesn't cause O2 sats to drop as low as BB's did, 82. And typically, being in the cold air or steam treatments will usually work within the first few minutes of treatment.

He said that BB was still wheezing bad enough to need breathing treatments and more steroids. He was actually surprised that the ER doctor had not advised us to continue breathing treatments with the medicine that I already have at home, Xopenex.

He diagnosed both the boys and is treating them for RSV, Croup, and Bronchitis. As his theory is, if one has it the other has it also or will eventually get it. (By the way, CB's cough had worsened over the weekend). He also advised that they stay away from the public for a few days. He said that there are so many viruses out there right now and especially ones that are affecting the lungs, he mentioned RSV and Pneumonia. He prescribed some strong antibiotics to knock out the Bronchitis but to also prevent them from getting pneumonia.

I am so blessed with a wonderful pediatrician. Although he tended to both my boys, he only charged for 1 office visit so my copay was only $20.00 instead of $40.00. He even went ahead and prescribed another round of antibiotics in case this round didn't knock it out so to keep me from having to come back up there. He said to wait 5 days after this round and if the cough is not gone to refill it. Which I am so grateful...the last thing we need is to go up there again and sit in the sick bay only to catch something else. However, it's not the doctor visit that is so costly, it's the medicine. Surely with $300.00 worth of medicine, they have got to get better.

In light of our medicine bills, we are now accepting donations to the "007 Twin Medical Fund"!

I have yet to have a decent night sleep since "that night". (Well, actually I haven't had a consistent, decent night sleep since I was 30 weeks pregnant which I guess comes with the territory of being a parent... but that's for another post). I've actually had BB sleep in the bed with me while JB has been on the couch. He has started off in his bed with JB bringing him to bed with me. He will be sleeping in his bed tonight and will remain unless his coughing gets "out of hand", but I'm sure I won't sleep very well again. You can still hear him coughing that horrible "barking" cough and when I can't seem to make myself fall into a deep sleep, I just "jump" awake to listen for more. I'm sure as they get better and with time, I'll finally feel comfortable enough to get some "deep" sleep.

Thank you all for your prayers and emails of concern; they have been so uplifting. It's such a blessing and honor to know how much my friends, family and even acquaintances really do care about the welfare of my children and family.

Until next time, HB

2 comments:

K Storm said...

Still praying for those sweet boys...we miss seeing them, but want them to feel like themselves soon!

Jeremy and Christy said...

We love you guys and Rileigh sends her love to her sweet friends!! Let us know if you need anything and I hope you guys get well soon!