Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas 2008

We were blessed yet again with a great Christmas.

We spent Christmas Eve day with JB's parents in a neighboring state. We had plans to visit with grandmothers and extended family but due to the boys having a lingering fever from RSV, we didn't chance spreading this virus. Both JB's grandmothers have lung "issues" and his cousin's little girl, only a few months old didn't need to be exposed either. So we just hung out at his parent's house while JB visited the extended family. Even though the boys were running fever and coughing, their spirits were still excited.
After we got home Eve night, the boys set cookies and milk out for Santa. This was their first Christmas to do this. I was excited to use the plates they made at school. And of course, Mr and Mrs Claus enjoyed the midnight snack. The boys were sure to check Christmas morning to see if Santa had eaten his cookies. BB's reply was "he was hungry".

This year the boys understood Santa and gifts much more than the past. They consistently said what they wanted each time you asked. BB wanted Handy Manny tools while CB wanted Thomas the Train toys. Hence the reason they are wearing their respective shirts to bed, Christmas Eve. The Friday before Christmas the boys saw Lighting "NaQueen" umbrellas at Wal-Mart they wanted Santa to bring. This was a request even up til Christmas Eve. We couldn't purchase the umbrellas at the time we saw them b/c the boys were with us. So, we left the umbrellas hoping we could find one at our Wal-Mart without the boys around. No such luck.

We stopped at the Wal-Mart of JB's hometown on our way to his parent's. I got out with hope that they would have not just 1 but 2 Lighting "NaQueen" umbrellas. As I approached the kid's umbrellas, I saw 1 "NaQueen" umbrella hanging. I stood there wondering should I get 1 "NaQueen" and 1 Spiderman (knowing that Spiderman wasn't gonna suffice) or should I just forgo the umbrellas and explain that Santa couldn't find the umbrellas. As I walked away decided that I would just forgo the umbrellas, I noticed a red umbrella that had been pushed under the shelve. And Glory be, it was another Lighting "NaQueen" umbrella. I grabbed it with dust and all, picked up the other that was hanging and paid for those 2 umbrellas. I put the umbrellas in the trunk so not to be seen. When I got back in the car...BB asked if I got him a Lighting "NaQueen" umbrella at GiGi's Wal-Mart. This may be trivial, but I thanked God then and there for showing me that other umbrella. My little BB's heart wasn't gonna be broken on Christmas morning b/c for some reason this umbrella was important to him.

I let them use their umbrella for a short moment in the rain on Christmas Day. They loved it. It makes my heart smile to see my boys enjoy such little pleasures. What might be a little "thing" to adults, it's the world to them... and I love seeing their enjoyment.

Although, each wanted separate items, they understand that most of the toys are to share, unless there are two of them. Santa brought a train table with tracks and all the stops that go with it. Although, the table and tracks itself is not Thomas, their trains are. CB has been most impressed. BB got his Handy Manny tools and continues to fix things around the house. In fact, it really doesn't have to be Handy Manny, just any tool is exciting him.

JB and I took a chance on some Radio Flyer "Big Wheels". They are out growing their tricycles but not quite ready for a bike. I'm glad we took that chance. They have loved them and they love going fast-fast. "Watch, mamma, watch me go fast-fast".


Because they are still a little too short to reach the pedals, we had to put pillows behind them til we could rig something better. We have since fixed the problem with something other than a pillow.

My dad came over after we had Santa and spent the day with us. My mom went to my grandmother's for the day. I fixed a pork roast, creamed corn, and Cheesy Ranch Potatoes for lunch.

We opened gifts with my immediate family the Saturday after Christmas.

Although, we had a blessed Christmas and I have everything to be thankful for, I just didn't quite get into the Christmas spirit this year. And by not having the "full" Christmas spirit I don't mean not acknowledging Christ's birth. I mean, I didn't have the motivation to get out all my decor, watch the Christmas movies I usually enjoy watching this time of year, waiting til the last minute to do Christmas cards, etc. I don't know if it was b/c I was so busy, JB working late just about every night, the boys were sick most of December and then there was the weather (hot one day and cold the next). I've read several bloggers express the same emotion and I have talked with several friends, relatives and acquaintances that experienced the same.

I've posted a survey above this blog post asking "If you had the Christmas Spirit" this year. I invite you to answer. (there is no identifying info to vote or after you vote. I can't tell you votes).

HB

2 comments:

K Storm said...

I would think with so much illness at your home that you were just exhausted...plus not being able to participate fully in activities hinders you from feeling "Christmas-y".

I was frustrated due to my physical limitations and had to let go of some things intentionally...but that wasn't easy. And then unexpected family situations didn't help. The programs were great, the family devotions meaningful, and I made a point to play Christmas music a lot. I think I have that seasonal depression too and I have to put forth effort for my sake and the sake of my kids. To hear my daughter proclaim this the best Christmas and to see my little boy's excitement meant the world to me. But the stress that my husband and I felt needs to improve next year.

T!ff@ny said...

I have never really thought of the issue of making sure you can find "two" of each thing when you have twins. I am glad you got the umbrellas!!

I understand you on Christmas spirit. I very much am grateful for Christ's birth and that I acknowledge but I was like you with many other things. I didn't even mail Christmas cards until December 23rd!!! Even then it was only to locals...I figured I would mail the rest "New Years cards" - if I can muster the energy! I only put up my Christmas tree and only about half of my ornaments on it. We had not other decorations around the house. Christmas tree and presents...that is it. I too did not watch all of the usual Christmas movies.

Many I know have said the same thing...I am praying for a better Christmas in 2009!