Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Got Faith?

This is a blog that I have been wanting to write for sometime but every time I have sat to down to write it...something has happened that has prevented it. Now, those "somethings" pertain to what I want to write about.

I was introduced to a blog through a fellow blogging friend titled The Confessions of a CF Husband. I can't even begin to tell you everything there is to know about this blog only that it's written by a husband whose wife has CF. This blog is about his experiences as a "CF Husband" while his wife undergoes a double lung transplant after an emergency c-section to deliver their little girl at about 24 weeks. Trust me, you will just have to read it yourself to experience his awesome faith and peace in Christ and his love for his bride and little girl. I could do no justice in trying to describe it. When I read it, there were times I found my faith to be too small. Would I have the same faith and trust that he does during such a trying situation and circumstance?

Well, then I ran up on the blog Bring the Rain...The story of Audrey Caroline.
This blog is by Angie Smith, the wife of Todd Smith...lead singer of Selah. If anyone were to ask for a list of musicians whose songs most inspire me, Selah would be on that list. JB and I have been blessed to see them twice in concert and we own all of their CD's. I love them, I love their songs, I love their heart, and I love their ministry. (I digress...only to say that this blog is really special to me as I find Selah's messages of faith, hope, love and peace to be so near to my heart). Again, I could do no justice in trying to describe this blog. Angie blogs about their experience in losing a child shortly after birth. She writes with such a personal affect that you feel like you know her after reading the first post. And by the time you read all of her posts, you find yourself grieving for them as if they were someone you've known all your life. I, again, reflect after reading her experiences of such awesome faith and trust in Christ, on my faith and find it so little. Her faith will leave you reflecting your own and realizing just how much we have to rely on Christ to get us through such tragedy.

So, I have "Got Faith?" in the back of my mind to write thinking, "I'll finally write about that tonight". As history seems to repeat itself, I read about the Chapman family and the tragedy they have experienced. Steven Curtis Chapman ranks up there with Selah for me. He, too, is a musician that I admire through his faith filled songs, life and ministry. He and his family exemplify the love of Christ in a way that you can't help but know the love they have for Him. JB and I had one of his songs in our wedding and we own most if not all of his CD's. You will find that most of my I-Pod consists of songs from him and Selah. I have no doubt that their faith is strong enough to get them through this tragedy and that their faith through this tragedy will be another testament of their love for Christ for the rest of the world to witness.

All of these situations have me reflecting the strength of my faith...is it strong enough to sustain me in such tragedies I have mentioned above...or is so weak that when such storms come, I will only retreat from God and try to find my own shelter. All I can do is pray that it's strong enough until I have to actually experience those storms. And as Christians, we will experience some type of storm(s) in our lifetime...not to harm us but only to prosper us...to make us stronger in Christ and for Him to be glorified for all the world to see our love for Him and His never-ending, unfailing, ever faithful love for us.

You see, I like to be in control and in the storms of life, I don't have control. And to keep me honest with my readers...I don't like not being in control.
It's an area in my spiritual life that I battle. I find it hard to simply "give control" over. I want it to work my way, the way I have planned, so that nothing takes me off guard or becomes a big SURPRISE. While I know that God is in control and that nothing surprises Him, at times for me, it's hard to actually live it.

I have been blessed reading the above blogs. They are an assurance of God's love for his people. And the writers are an assurance of faith and peace that I hope to exemplify during my life's storms. I encourage you to read them when you have time...i emphasize "when you have time" because you would do yourself a disservice to just skim through them. I must warn you...have plenty of tissue around.

Until next time, HB

PS...Here is a video of the Smith's story but don't just watch that without reading their blog. I promise, that you will be equally blessed in both
http://www.vimeo.com/951902/