Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Recent Reading Adventure




This is the latest book I have finished. It was a book chosen by a member of my book club.
This book is not one I would have chosen on my own accord but I've seen it on many must-read lists. Even so, I'm always glad to read books I can tell y'all about...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

This book is a hard book to give a star rating. There are many factors to this book that just don't allow an easy review.

It is set in the mid-1800s in Amsterdam. The setting isn't one I've read or really studied so some of the references were lost to me.

It's one of the most unique books I've ever read. It is well written for a debut novel. While the plot includes the sensitive issue of homosexuality, her ability to create this story with such intriguing characters and setting as her debut novel is truly amazing. For this, I give it 5 stars.
But that 5 stars doesn't reflect my enjoyment of the book. There are some sexual scenes and commentary that the sensitive reader may not enjoy. It's not the highlight of the story but be aware, it exists.

I finished the book confused and disappointed. I'm still not sure of the purpose or meaning of this book. The women characters are strong and independent even in a culture where they are considered below the man. I felt like ending left their stories unfinished. For this, I give it a 3.

There are many scandalous relationships throughout the story and how they have to be kept secret so the church leaders and burgomasters (city authorities) do not find out. In keeping these secrets with some being found out, the hypocrisy of the church and government of that time era is exposed.

There are elements of sadness, scandal, mystery, suspense, sex and mild gore. I'm not quick to recommend this book. I advise you to read it at your own discretion. Definitely not recommended for teenagers due to the sexual element.

No comments: