Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Reading "Dixie"

This last month's book club choice was Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter by Lisa Patton.  It is the first book in a 3 book series called Dixie.  I enjoyed the 1st so much that I read all 3 book in the series. 

I can't begin to write a review for all 3 books.  I've never claimed to be a professional reviewer and trying to summarize 3 books, is a bit overwhelming for me.  Instead, I'll leave a 4 star rating for the whole series.  The 2nd book is a 3 star for me but the 1st and 3rd books started and ended the series well. 

Being from the South, I enjoyed some of the references to Memphis and Ole Miss.  However, I would like to add that not all Southern Belles act and live as some of the ones depicted in the series.  Leelee and her friends can seem a bit superficial as their need to impress their peers and with worry of what others think of them.  While it's true that some live like this, not all of us do. 

For the most part, this was a clean read even though it was secular. There are few curse words and references to drunkenness.  I was quite impressed that Leelee saved her sexual relationship with her boyfriend until she was married. The author makes a specific reference to this. 

This series is a light-hearted, fun, quirky adventure that both the Southern Belle and Yankee would enjoy if you are looking to read such books.  I wouldn't consider this series to be a work of literature so there isn't deep analytical elements to seek out.  It's just fun and entertaining. 





No comments: