Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Friday, August 5, 2016

The Tipsy Magnolias

Last year I ventured into something that is out of my comfort zone in regards to organizing and meeting people.  I'm an introvert with social anxiety so meeting new people is hard for me; organizing something that requires my leadership over a group of people is not typical of me.  But my enjoyment of reading and lack of close friends and family who do not share this same enthusiasm inspired me to start a book club for our neighborhood.  Our neighborhood has 2 club houses that can be used by LC residents.  We met at one of the club houses for the few months but scheduling around other neighborhood activities got to be difficult and non LC residents could not participate. 

After discussing with a few other members, we decided to change the location to a restaurant located in our neighborhood.  There were 3 consistent members, Diane, Lissa and me.  We each had friends who wanted to join so meeting at the Mermaid Café allowed for non LC residents to join. 

We currently have 5 members.  I'm the youngest but thoroughly enjoy the conversation and fellowship with the other members.  We have chosen some great books, most of which you have seen posted on this blog. 

One of the members, Lissa, jokingly started calling us The Tipsy Magnolias because we all bring our own quirks to the group.  (No...we aren't tipsy from too much drinking...though I'm the only teetotaler, all other members are too classy to make this into a drinking celebration).  So The Tipsy Magnolias inadvertently became the "unofficial" name of our group.

We meet the 1st Tuesday of the month. We do actually discuss the book along with updating each other about our life.  The fellowship and food are always a treat for me as this is the only 'adult' activity I'm involved in outside of church. 

In December, I'll list 2016's choice of books but for now, I'll list the few we read for 2015.  We only met a few months last year because I started the group in September.

Gone Girl
All the Light We Cannot See
The Life of Pi

No comments: