Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Monday, November 2, 2015

The Science of Shells

The past few weeks our science chapter has been about mollusks. When finishing the chapter, we organized the shells we have collected from our past beach vacations.  It was fun going through our collection understanding what kind of shell it is and what kind of sea animal used to live in it. 

This wasn't a project suggested by the author of the book so I can kind of had to create this myself.  I had our boys take one of their shoe boxes and make small compartments to organize the shells within each compartment.  I intentionally didn't participate too much allowing them to use their own skills to create the actual box. 

It's always fun to see their finished products.  It is usually a direct reflection of each of their personalities.  Brother B is typically detailed and more analytical in his approach.  Brother C is typically a little more whimsical finding details to be overwhelming and restricting.  You will see the difference below in their final creation.  It makes me smile each time I look at it because I love each of their personalities. 

When we do these types of projects, I do not grade them and I usually do not make them redo them unless I know they intentionally didn't do their best.  But each of these boxes were done with intent, pride and care.  While the project was to reinforce the lessons we had just learned, it was also intended to reinforce creativity, problem solving and start till finish. 

It's assignments, projects and lessons like this, that make me enjoy homeschooling!


Brother B...organized and exact with details

 
 
 
 
Brother C...a little more 'whimsical' with less details

No comments: