Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Judgment of Revenge

Do not judge.

This is one of the most misused and abused verses in the Bible. We use this verse as if it's our own, personal defense attorney in the wake of someone calling out sins or what they deem sinful.
But very few understand the meaning of it. Very few realize it's just part of a verse and that the whole verse is intertwined with many others to bring about a whole meaning...not just "do not judge".

Here is an example of how this verse can be applied to everyday life and it has nothing to do with justifying our sins.

"Vengeance is mine," God declared. "I will repay" (Heb. 10:30 NJKV)
"Don't say, 'I'll pay you back for the wrong you did.' Wait for the Lord, and he will make things right." (Prov. 20:22)

"Judgment is God's job. To assume otherwise is to assume God can't do it. Revenge is irreverent. When we strike back we are saying, "I know vengeance is yours, God, but I just didn't think you'd punish enough. I thought I'd better take this situation into my own hands. You have a tendency to be a little soft." (quotes from Max Lucado, Cast of Characters regarding Joseph's story)

As I was reading this, I realized that vengeance is a way of judging others. It's our way of judging those who have wronged us. But, you see, that is judgment in its most raw form...from slandering those who have gossiped about us, to murdering those who have wronged us. (for the record, I don't know anyone who has murdered, but I know there is a murder rate). Determined to revenge others who have hurt us, is ruling a judgment for their 'sin' against us. Actively seeking vengeance on those who have hurt our family or us, is playing God, and that is 'judging'. Any vengeance for any wrong doing is clearly God's job.

"...or you will be judged" (Matt. 7:1) This is the rest of the verse. You see...if I don't want revenge sought on me (and I'm sure I deserve it)...then I shouldn't seek to revenge others. I shouldn't seek to do something that is clearly God's job. Taking matters into our own hands is "judging" others.

Our culture takes this verse, twists it around to be used for its own advantage and meaning. Calling out sins is not judging as those who use this verse in defense of their sins want to believe. Seeking revenge or active vengeance on those who sin towards us...that is judging.

And that tendency for God to sometimes be soft...yeah, it's called Grace and Mercy. And I am guilty of thinking God won't do enough to the person(s) who wronged my family or me. I am guilty of thinking God will be too "soft". I fail to consider that when I want vengeance to be as harsh or harsher for those who have wronged me...that's "judging", too. Do I want harsh vengeance, do I want to be judged in such a way I want to revenge others? I think not...so therefore, "Do not judge or you will be judged." (Matt. 7:1)

No comments: