Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Monday, August 10, 2015

Crab Lives Matter

Well, last night ended with a 10:30 pm backyard funeral for our crustacean friend, Hermit. He hermitted himself on to the great beyond. He now rests inside a cellphone charger box in a hole in the backyard.

I was reading when I suddenly heard loud wails and sobbing. Being that it's not unusual for my boys to play using such sounds, I was a bit peeved that they weren't in bed and were yet playing again when they should be sleeping. After a few minutes of me trying to read in peace, JB came and informed me of the death. I think he was needing backup to settle the wailing. "Why does he have to die? Why can't he live forever? I loved that crab."

I asked JB if he was sure it was dead bc it had just been moving around in our school room a few days ago. His expression was pretty clear with his tongue halfway hanging out and eyeballs rolled back that the thing was dead.

I feel bad for the sudden outburst of laughter while trying to console my son.
We all traipsed up the hill in our backyard where Jeremy proceeded to dig a shallow grave. CB said a little prayer while Brother B continued to shed tears. As the funeral concluded, Brother B asked to stay a little while longer.

On our way back into the house, Jeremy assured me again that the crab was dead, "H, it fell out of its shell."

Gross.

I'm just glad this didn't happen on my watch during our school time. I don't know if I could have dealt with a dead, naked hermit crab.

All is quiet now with a few sobs coming from Brother B's room. He loved his little crab as indicated by his concerns to take care of it. He said he doesn't want another crab. Now, that I can understand. I've yet to want another dog.

This loss wasn't a big deal to me but it was to Brother B. It's another lesson of how life isn't forever, no matter how insignificant it might be to the world. But it was significant to his world, and that's what makes it special to me, his Momma.

 

No comments: