Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

T-Ball and Tempers













This year is our first year to play any kind of sport. It starts with T-Ball. So with this being our first year to play a sport...it's been my first time to be a "sport mom".
First, let me start off by saying that JB and I are so proud of our boys. Both CB and BB have enjoyed playing and are doing really well. Of course...BB is not quite as passionate as CB but still tries his best. If he continues to show his anxiety like he does...he is definitely my child. We have met some really great people through their team and I have been so pleased with the parental support the team has at each game; the bleachers are full.
JB is an assistant coach and I, along with a few other moms, have had to step in and help. We helping moms are in the "dugout" such as it is...taking care of the batting line up...keeping their equipment ready to go...and crowd control for those waiting to bat. It's been interesting to say the least considering I have never played any type of T-Ball or softball. I am having to learn the rules game by game.
While I am glad to be an involved mom on the team...it's a 2 edged sword. I can't take a lot of pictures and I can't just relax to watch the game. Instead, I tend to get too involved and thus finding myself having to hold my "temper" back. Let me clarify...I don't get upset with our players..they are doing so well and it is really cute to see them play. However...it's been the opposing team coaches and umpires that I seem to loose it with. (Disclosure: For those that know me best and know how I can "loose it"...I haven't done anything extreme.)
When it comes to rules...I am true believer in following them and I further expect others to obey them with integrity. There have been a few coaches that can make this game too competitive thus loosing some of the fun for the parents and kids. With that competitiveness they tend to loose integrity. And that is when my temper flares. So not to go into further detail... I am trying to remind myself before each game...Who I represent on and off the field; that is Christ and my family.
The boys play a total of 10 games with 3 games a week. There is supposed to be a tournament at some point but we haven't been told when that will be.
The boys have been hitting well with BB hitting a winning hit. He was the last batter for one of the games...his hit brought in 2 players that won the game. CB has also been hitting well. Now for outfield...the story is a little different. Those of you with young ones know what I mean...their attention span seems to leave as soon as they hit the field. But over all...the whole team is doing well. We've lost a few and we've won a few. I just try to keep it all in perspective and make it fun for the kids.

2 comments:

K Storm said...

Umpires? Out of control coaches? Way more competitive than our experience last year...we haven't had a game yet this year.

I'm glad the boys are having fun though...that is what really matters!

Stephanie said...

Glad y'all are having fun! We may have to try it out.