Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Friday, January 29, 2010

The Family Bond Kitchen







Since I come from a long line of cooks, a kitchen is somewhat important to me. Now, I don't like to cook as much as my mother and her mother and her mother's mother but I do enjoy it on occasion. And all that like to cook know that a kitchen can either add to this enjoyment or take away from it. I certainly don't need nor want a gourmet chef's kitchen decked out with newest gadgets and top of the line appliances. But I do want a kitchen that is warm and welcoming. For me, it just helps make a house a home.

This house was built 60 years ago. And I as I didn't want a retro, antique looking kitchen, I still wanted a kitchen that represented the warmth and welcomeness a house of that time may have had.
As you may have read in a previous post, I was debating on the bottom cabinets to be black with the top cabinets more of a creamy white. JB eventually let me have my way. (Sounds selfish on my part, doesn't it). He really didn't care...just had a hard time visualizing the final outcome. My dad warned me about black having been a painter for many years, he didn't want me to do it. But the sweet, willing dad he is...he granted my wishes of having black cabinets.

And I LOVE them!!! I have no regrets on any of the decisions I made regarding the kitchen. This is a huge step for me as I generally find myself indecisive when it comes to home decor and relying only on the opinion of others. I had more tell me NOT to do it than I did in support of.

Although, it doesn't represent a kitchen built 60 years ago...I think it works well for this house. And if the time ever comes...will be a great selling asset for this older house and neighborhood.

I regret I don't have before pics. I just didn't think about it and my camera was packed up when we started. There are still a few ideas I need to fulfill for this kitchen. I haven't decided yet what kind of knobs to put on the doors and drawers. I'll be getting to that soon. I want new ovens. There are double ovens so I am having to wait a little while to purchase 2 ovens. I would also like to redo the floor..but this will have to wait awhile, also, if it actually gets done. But other than those 2 items...everything else suits my satisfaction for the time being.
Because it's a galley kitchen it's hard to get a view of the whole room. Our eating area is actually right outside the kitchen door so it's separate from the actual kitchen.

6 comments:

K Storm said...

Ithink it looks great!

Michelle McArdle said...

Good job, Holly! The kitchen looks great. I like the black cabinets on bottom. Hope you enjoy your new kitchen! I really want to update mine soon too.

Amanda said...

Your cabinets look amazing! Job well done!

Ronda's daughter,
Amanda

Stephanie said...

Looks great! You did a great job! Maybe I can see it in person, soon???

Kellye said...

It looks wonderful!!!!! I sure could do some baking int here!!!

Jeanelle said...

AWESOME!!! Congrats on the makeover!