Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Quirky Me #2: Sitting Arrangements

When I am at a restaurant or any other public situation, I can't sit with my back to the door, entrance/exit. I have to face the entrance door or towards that way if the door is not visible from my seat. Another words, I need to see who is coming in or coming towards me. I can't stand knowing that someone can walk up behind me and I not see them or know that they are there.

Several of my former supervisors were therapists while one was a Clinical Psychologist. When they realized this about me, they enjoyed analyzing this "quirk" of mine. They all came to the conclusion that it links to a trust issue or rather a non-trust issue. Apparently I don't trust people enough and like to be in control of my environment. And you know, they are right.

When JB and I had only been seeing each other for a few days, he almost called it off due to an incident related to this. I was eating with some friends in the cafeteria at school, (college...those who attended MC about 9 years ago, know why you ate at the cafeteria). The cafeteria had 2 entrances on opposite sides. I would usually sit in an arrangement were I could see both entrances but this time, there was not chair at the table to do that. As I was eating and fellowshipping with friends, JB came up behind me and put his hands over my eyes. I went ballistic and acted totally rude and irrational. He didn't understand nor knew that I had this quirk...and this quirk is directed to such situations that he had just presented...not knowing that someone is coming up on me nor knowing who it is once they are there.

I had to call and apologize to him later that afternoon and explain this quirk. He accepted my apology and, well, obviously continued the relationship.

My mom has this same quirk but I don't know if it's for the same reasons.

Until next time, HB

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Haha that is funny. At least he forgave and now look at your cute family!

So happy to see you have a blog. I LOVE blogging!!

Stephanie said...

SO glad you apologized! I can't imagine you two not being together and us not having you for friends.

Anonymous said...

you should have hit hin on the head with one of my hammers..guess who HaHa