Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Monday, March 2, 2009

3rd Time's a Charm

Amongst the sickness, doctor visits and other daily chaos at our house, our microwave died last week. I was warming something up when I heard, "BBBBZZZZZ" and then saw a puff of smoke come out of it. I just stared at for awhile thinking that the longer I stared it would work again. The boys came running into the kitchen asking, "what was that noise, mamma?" "EEEWWWW, it stinks. What is that smell?" I told them that the microwave died and the smoke was what they smelled.

That was Tuesday. I was sick most of the week along with the boys and just didn't feel like going to Lowe's to look for another until Friday night. Even then, I had to make myself go.

JB had mentioned an over the stove microwave of which I was thrilled with the idea. That meant more counter top space for me to use. And more space is always needed.

We found one that we agreed at Lowe's. Got it to the car and quickly learned that it wouldn't fit in the trunk and certainly not in the back seat with 2 car seats and 2 boys. We left it at Lowe's went back to the house, got the other car, went back Lowe's to pick it up. Then headed to eat "Mexico".

After putting the boys to bed, JB began to work on installing it. We quickly realized that the "standard" sized microwave for over the stove, is not so standard for our kitchen. It was too big. It barely left enough room to use the stove. If there would be a fire on the stove or something to boil over, it would have attacked the microwave.

So the next morning, we all head back to Lowe's in separate cars to pick out another microwave. The thrilling idea of having one over the stove had vanished. We picked another out that we both agreed on. They didn't have one in a box so we took the display. The boys and JB headed back home while I left for some much needed grocery shopping.

I arrived home and found the monstrous microwave where the old one use to be. That thing was huge, much bigger than the previous one we had and took up more counter top space. It didn't look that big at Lowe's but it was over-powering in my little kitchen. JB suggested that we just leave it and maybe it would "grow" on us. Well, it certainly "grew" on me. The more I looked at it the bigger it got.

After coming home from Abbey's birthday party that night, I looked at it as I walked in the kitchen and told JB, I hated it. I was trying to gain more space and make my kitchen look better and that huge microwave was just in the way of my plans. Yep, it had "grown", alright.

My dear, sweet husband loaded the 2nd microwave in the car at 7:30 PM and hauled it back to Lowe's. He came home with a smaller more appropriate one for the kitchen. It looks much better gained my satifactory approval.

3rd times a charm even if it's getting a new microwave.

Until next time, HB

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love, love, the "microwave story". It's amazing the things in our life that can turn into a great story! :)

Unknown said...

I just have to know...Is the third one above your stove or on the counter?

Your sweet husband! Men are always trying to please us. So sweet!