Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Thursday, November 15, 2007

It's All about God and Not Me!

I have been reading "It's not about Me" by Max Lucado for the 4th time. Those in my Sunday School Class have heard me refer to this book and know how much I enjoy reading it. Every time I read it, I am still amazed at how it speaks to me not only new words but also reminders. In this society we are constantly taught that the world and life revolves around me _______ (add your name in the blank). We have a sense of entitlement, "I deserve better, bigger, more!" We whine about how it's not fair. We don't admit any fault of our own, instead we are quick to blame everyone else for our faults, disappointments, anger, losses, and any other "bad" that happens in our life. Our nation is the most "sue happy" nation proving that we as a society believe in making others suffer for their mistakes and our "bad happenings". Don't get me wrong, I believe in justice and consequences for one's actions, but NOTHING is owed to us. We believe that the church should serve us, the government should serve us, our neighbors should serve us. When the truth is, we are here to serve through Christ.

We all want our voices heard. And there lies the problem...it's our voice and not God's.

Did you know that God didn't create the human race in order to have a universe of comfortable people? As Lucado writes, "our comfort is not God's priority...if we are the marquee event how do we explain disease, slumping economies, natural disasters." "If God exists to please us, then shouldn't we always be pleased?"

He also acknowledges that "when God looks at the center of the universe, he doesn't look at me or you, instead he points to the Son-his Son- and says 'Behold the center of it all!"----This statement knocks to me my knees every time I read it. What a jolt of reality.

And finally for this blog, Lucado further acknowledges and reveals to us, "God does not exist to make a big deal out of us. We exist to make a big deal out of Him. It's not about you. It's not about me. It's all about HIM!" Another knee falling realization.

If you haven't read this book, I highly encourage you to do so. If you are like me and have read it before, I encourage you to read it again.

I hope to post more as I read along...this also provides accountability for my "quiet time".

Until next time, HB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, HB, well said. :-)