Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Monday, August 4, 2014

Our New Way of Schooling

As most of you know, I am on FB and post most of our daily happenings there.  But for those who aren't, I would like of inform of you a major lifestyle change for our family.  Below you will find an 'announcement', if you will, I posted on Facebook.  While this doesn't explain my heart on how we came to this decision (maybe another post), it will at least give you an idea of major changes are going on in our family:

It's hard to know where to start with a post like this. I hesitate b/c I put myself out there for either much criticism or much praise. I'm actually looking for neither but I know given that it's social media and I have 100s of friends here which equate to 100s of opinions. One or the other will happen...either way, I refuse to let it define our decision or our family. Praises will not confirm our decision no more than criticism will doubt it.

Last year during our Christmas break....well actually since our boys started school, I've had a desire (slash) interest to homeschool. The idea intrigued me but that was all...it just intrigued me. But this past Christmas, the idea became more than an intrigue but rather a desire. A desire based on many, many issues that became increasingly hard for me to ignore. For those who believe in God calling you to fulfill His will....I accepted this increasing desire as God calling us to a different avenue of educating our boys. This desire wasn't to enroll in a private school nor to become an avid lobbyist of changing the public school system to fit my ideas of what I think public school should be (but ever so grateful to those who have heeded that calling). This desire was to homeschool. This desire was to become an avid participate in our sons' education by way of homeschooling.

After months and months of praying, researching, seeking wise counsel, tears, self doubt, naysayers, advocates, explaining the whys, discerning and many, many confirmations that only God could have orchestrated, it was with excitement, anxiety and relief (to finally say to God, "you win") that Jeremy and I made the decision to homeschool our boys beginning this year. It's a decision we will take a year at a time. I don't know what next year holds but I know who holds it. I know as our duties as parents continue as long as God allows us to be the parents of Christian and Brooks, we will not stop seeking His will.

Our boys are excited but understand that our days will not be filled with video games, TV watching (unless for educational purposes) nor lazily lying around the house as the day passes by. The idea of no homework excites them the most.

I know as many of you who read this have the ever present and popular reaction of: "what about socializing?" "are you crazy?" "you are ruining your boys' life". Believe me, I've heard it all. I had one lady literally tell me "You are Crazy." Yes, yes, I am crazy. I'm crazy about my boys and like many other parents I know, we are doing what we think is best for our family.

In regards to homeschooling...if you feel the need to leave a critical comment or mentally think it, I ask a few things of you before you do. Have you done the months of research most homeschooling families have done to come to their decision? Are you criticizing based on experience or b/c of something you merely read, something you merely heard or is it the typical response most give to homeschooling? Do you know the personal stories of those homeschooling as to why they chose this avenue of education? You see, I have learned that most people who criticize this choice haven't taken the time to understand the reasons why a family chooses this avenue. The critic hasn't done the amount of research it takes to come to this decision nor have they prayed the prayers for discernment and clarity. The critic finds it easier to respond with criticism and judgment than to try and understand. Most homeschoolers don't just up and decide this way of life overnight. If one does, this decision was poorly made and will most likely cause more heartache, more stress and possibly failure. To fully understand a homeschooling family, you have to understand their reasoning and to also understand it's a personal decision.

I've also learned that when someone chooses to homeschool, some educators, be a teacher or administrator, tend to take this decision as a personal attack against them or their teaching ability. This is as far from the truth for us as it can get. Our decision is not based on any particular situation that happened to us in public school, although for some homeschooling families this true. In the 3 years we were enrolled in public school, not one incident made this an easy decision. We had not one teacher that caused us any strife or animosity towards public schooling. I have several family members and many friends who are public school teachers and they are wonderful people who any child would be blessed to have. They have blessed so many children and their families throughout their years of teaching. They give love when there's none being given at home. They inspire when there is no inspiration at home. They are at the forefront in the everyday battle of educating our children. They are often underestimated and wrongly criticized for the system's failures. They have a talent and gift that can't always be 'developed' or 'created', it comes natural from our Creator.

So please, don't take a homeschooler's decision as a personal attack on teachers, principals or PTOs. Homeschoolers may criticize the public school system, this is true and I'm not going to lie...I criticize the system. But there is a big difference in criticizing the system or having concerns about the system than pointing a finger at one who is a part of the system but has no part of the failure. You may not enroll in O care but that doesn't mean you 'hate' the doctors. You may criticize the military but that doesn't mean you 'hate' our brave soldiers. You may criticize the Church but that doesn't mean you 'hate' your pastor or Christians.

And as with all organizations with associations...there are some homeschoolers who disgrace the homeschooling community. There are some educators who disgrace the educating community. There are some soldiers who disgrace the military community. There are some pastors and so-called Christians who disgrace the Christian community. So please, don't form a critical opinion of all based on a few.
 
As you begin your new school year with excitement and anxiety....so do we. It's a journey, just as with all children whether you homeschool or not, that will be filled with blessings, stress, hugs, tears, excitement, doubts and surprises. It's a journey I can't wait to begin.

No comments: