Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Friday, August 24, 2012

For Reader's Only


I haven't always been a reader.  I guess because in high school and college I had to read out of necessity and not entertainment.  It wasn't until after college and married that I became an avid reader.  My mom doesn't care for reading books and my dad and sister read sporadically but no one else in my immediate family is as enthusiastic about it as I am.  But I do have an aunt, whom my mother says I should have been her child, that is an avid reader.  So I like to think I inherited this honorable hobby from her.

I mean, I like it so much that I have to monitor myself when reading a good book or I'll spend hours escaped into another life and become oblivious to what is going on around me. The first time JB walked in on me crying while reading, he asked with great concern..."What's wrong. Are you ok?"  And my only reply was, "this book is so good!"  Now when he sees me crying over a book, he just asks, "Another good book?" and walks away bewildered at how a book that makes me cry can be so good.  A book that can make me express emotion as deep as crying or laughing out loud... is what makes a good book.  

So it is with much excitement, possibly quite more than the others, that I look forward to the new adventure of starting a book club with several ladies in my Sunday School class.  We all like to fellowship with each other and realized that some of us love to read.  So what better way to fellowship with other avid readers...a BOOK CLUB!!! And even better, a faith based book club.

Our first meeting will be late September hosted at my home.  We are going to try and meet at least once a month with food and hopefully plenty of discussion.  Even more exciting, we are starting off with the absolute classic book, Redeeming Love.  This book is part of the reason this club is starting.  When I mentioned that I was reading it, many in Sunday school commented on either having read it or wanting to read it.  So, the obvious book to start with is Redeeming Love. 

I'm not gonna mention much about the book until after the club meeting but if you are an avid reader and haven't read this book, I can't recommend it enough to do it justice.  It has become my all time favorite encompassing many years of reading. 

If you are in a book club or have been, I welcome any comments for suggestions or advice. 

No comments: