Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Repeat That, Please

As some of you already know, BB started speech therapy this past Wednesday. I had requested that he be evaluated based on some of his (or lack thereof) annunciations of some letters. His teacher and school director were so instrumental is coordinating this and helping get this done. I am so grateful for their cooperation and encouragement.

After his evaluation, it was determined that he did, indeed, need some speech therapy to help him better develop his language and speaking skills. While family and close friends can understand what he is saying...I was fearful that others could not and if something was not done to help him, it would only get worse and he would become the target of jokes.

He has trouble pronouncing several sounds but most prominent are his "L's". He pronounces them as "R's".

Lost = Rost

Love = Rove

Letter = Retter

Yellow = Rerrow

And so on. I had tried to work with him best I could but quickly learned that: 1) I am not a speech therapist 2) I exhibited to much "mommy" instead of teacher and 3) he would get really discouraged when he couldn't please me with the right annunciation. After JB and I discussed it, we thought it best to have him evaluated by a professional.

This past Wednesday, when I picked him up from school I asked him if had he "talked" to Ms Mary today. To which he replied, "Yes, mam...listen Momma....La, la, la, la, la!" "See, I can say it now!".

I was so overwhelmed with happiness for him and so proud of him, I cried the rest of the way home. Just the excitement he had for himself at the progress he had made melted my heart in a way that only a mother can understand. He could actually pronounce "La" instead of "Ra". Now, it wasn't perfect but it was enough for me and enough for him to know he was getting better. However, when I asked him to say "Lost Dog", he still continued to say "Rost Dog". And as usual, he got discouraged. So I had to encourage him and tell him that it will take time and that he was already getting better.

I am also excited that his speech therapist goes to the church we have been visiting and already knows BB from keeping his Sunday School class. I had been worried that he wouldn't cooperate with a complete stranger...but God took care of that as He always does. As this is just another reminder that it's not for me to worry about but for me to, instead, have faith that He takes care of such matters.

So, if you think about it...please pray for my BB on Wednesday mornings. While, this may not be the biggest issue we face in rearing him and while his speech issues are not major...it's a big deal to this little 4 year old boy. The little progress he made in the first 30 minute session was one of the biggest accomplishments he had made in his little world and boosted his self confidence to another level.

2 comments:

Lori Lehrmann said...

Yay for Brooks! Grace has received speech therapy from Mary since she was in the 3 year old program at St. James. Mary has done wonders with her & knows just how to get Grace to "get it". Grace has come a long way...she had problems with her r & s. She still doesn't get her s out correctly all the time, but she knows how to do it right & it's just a matter of getting her to slow down & say it correctly. Good luck to you guys in this journey! You'll be amazed at how he progresses! It was good to see you guys this morning, by the way!

K Storm said...

We just love that kid and I am so glad he has attentive parents. This will help him learn that we have to practice things like speech just like everything else. Praying for quick results...