Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Recent Reading Adventures

A review for the latest book I've read:

I finished reading the last saga of this book at midnight a few nights ago. May I recommend not doing this. Or maybe it's because I'm such a scaredy cat, that only I hear "sleepers" with every noise a house makes when reading about them in bed, at night.

Strictly based on the genre, this is not a book I would choose to read. I am not a fan of horror, paranormal, even more so with violent killings as in this story. I read this book because i...t was picked for my book club. I didn't know to what degree of thriller, horror to expect. No one in my group had read it. Even still, it's not a genre I will choose on my own accord and the ways I find this book disturbing with parts I wish I can unread, only proves why I don't read them.
However, even though I find it disturbing and it still didn't make me a fan of horror, I admit the story is well written. It's obvious Jennifer is a talented writer with quite the imagination even if I do find it dark and scary.

This story vacillates from the early 1900s to the present. I was a little lost in the first 100 pages but soon after I was able to catch on and found it easy to follow through the rest of the story. Ruthie and Fawn's mother comes up missing. They live in West Hall, VT where legends of a "sleeper" may be the cause of their mother's disappearance along with many others who have gone missing and were never found. In the search for their mother, Ruthie and Fawn discover more about this legend and come to realize some legends are more than tales. But instead of exposing the legend as truth, the world is a safer place when the truth is kept silent. Only now, the truth has been exposed by one other who didn't keep silent...

Since I'm not used to this genre, some of the twists were unpredictable to me, though, if you read a lot of these kinds of stories, you may find them predictable.

There are no sex scenes but for the sensitive reader, there are quite a few uses of strong language.
I'll end with this...before I read this book, I had hopes of one day living in the woods in a small, obscure house, to enjoy the peace and quiet, away from the busy life. Now, that desire is no longer. The woods no longer call my name and if they do, I'll run the other way. I highly recommend you do the same.

I give this book 4 stars because I do think it is well written . I can't in good conscious rate it based on my dislike of the genre.


No comments: