Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Lost then Found

 
This ring. It was my mother's ring. She passed it down to me as a graduation gift. It had a diamond in the middle. She had the small diamond removed and replaced with a star sapphire. No, the star sapphire isn't more valuable but I had been asking for a star sapphire ring...this was her gift of both. (there are small diamonds circling the sapphire.)

Now rewind at the most 10 years ago or at t...he very least 5 years ago. I was in the hospital (since I can't remember which stay, that's why I give the previous time line). I had to take off my jewelry before surgery. The only ring I had on was this ring and another. I did not have on my wedding rings.

I have been trying to find this ring for at most the past 10 years or at the least the past 5 years. I remember giving it my mom but she didn't remember taking it. I'm sure due to the anxiety of surgery and the mix of drugs, I just couldn't remember which hospital stay it was to give her more info about her having my rings. I know I didn't immediately ask for them back after my stay. So time went by before I remembered them. But I when I did remember them, specifically this one, I just couldn't remember enough about where they would be and neither could she.

I searched so many different places thinking that maybe I just dreamed about giving them to her. I knew I had put some jewelry in our safe deposit box at one time during our multiple moves in recent years...but this ring wasn't with them. I then I would second guess myself thinking I just lost them our moves.
Now, fast forward to yesterday from the 10 or 5 years ago. I woke up yesterday thinking about this ring as I've often done for the past many years, still trying to remember what exactly happened to them. I typically end my thoughts succumbing to the idea that I just lost them or maybe they were stolen while in the hospital. Unlike most Sundays, yesterday morning, I asked my mom if she had any blankets to donate to a ministry for the homeless. She did, so after church I stopped by her house to help gather the blankets. While she was going through her cabinets, she came across some 'hidden' jewelry bags.

"I need to throw all these things away. They've just been up in this cabinet for I don't know how long".

"Well, you may want to look through them just to make sure they are empty. You never know"

And to my surprise that brought on a stream of tears...there were my rings and most importantly this one...the one I've been missing and trying to figure out where it could be for the past so many years. My mom still didn't remember me giving them to her but she remembered me losing them and wracking my brain and efforts to find them that up until this point, to no avail.

I know in the scheme of life, rings are just a material possession that stays on this earth long after we have left....but it's the sentimental value behind it that can't be replaced.

After having it resized to fit my finger, I'll once again wear it with as much love as it was given.

No comments: