Smile for the Joy of Others

Smile for the Joy of Others

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Recovery

It's been 2 weeks since my surgery. And I must say it's been a hard 2 weeks. My surgeon was right when he said I would feel like I've been beat with a tire iron. I've only had 2 major surgeries in all my 33 years of life...C-Section and this Cervical Fusion in my neck. If I had to choose between the 2...I'll choose a C-Section.

I was told that I didn't handle the anesthesia very well. I can't attest because I don't remember. I do remember being in pain when I did wake up for a brief moment and quickly finding the Morphine pump and then I remember nothing else.

The following days of recovery have a roller coaster. I one point my head felt like a bowling ball being held up by a wet noodle. And just when I think..ahhh, no more pain, no more stiffness in my neck....I wake up the next day to just the opposite...PAIN and Stiffness! I've been told that is typical of this surgery and it can be this way for about 6 weeks. UGHHH! But the pain free days seem to be more frequent.

I have been so blessed to have family and friends helping during this time. My in-laws were so gracious to keep the boys for 3 nights and my parents allowed the boys and I to take up residence for the week following the surgery. And furthermore, my dad brought the boys and me back to G'ville and stayed 4 more nights. A friend kept the boys which allowed them to play all day with their special bud, SS. My sister came over several days and helped entertain the boys and my sister-in-law took the boys for an afternoon to keep them busy as well. Needless to say, I've been spoiled for the past 2 weeks and I already miss them greatly.

I'm gonna try to slowly start back sewing soon if the pain free days continue to increase. Even though it's part of recovery, I can't stand just laying around the house and doing nothing. But at the same time, I can't over do-it either.

Thank you so much for the prayers, well wishes, and thoughts.

2 comments:

K Storm said...

Don't do too much too soon! We want you well! I know summertime days probably don't go by as fast as school days...I hope you will be back soon for a visit that you can actually enjoy pain-free.

TRP said...

glad you are on the mend...praying still...